Saturday, January 17, 2009

January Book Review: The Gargoyle

For my book this month I read Andrew Davidson's The Gargoyle. I really liked reading this book and is one that I will probably read again somewhere down the road. The Gargoyle would be a perfect airplane read. I can get completely engrossed in a book when I am on a plane. I think it's because I have absolutely no interest in talking with the strangers around me and do my best to tune them all out. But back to the book.

The beginning is a little brutal. Not because it's difficult to read, but because it's so descriptive you can almost feel the words. The first part of the book describes a car crash that the narrator experiences and if you can make it through that you won't want to put it down. I loved each of the stories that Marianne told because they kept my attention. I couldn't wait to continue reading to hear the next part of each one. I also liked the way that the narrator goes back and forth determining whether Marianne is totally insane, or if they really happened. I love how they all tie in to one another, and in the end when he tells Marianne Engel he loves her. Aww. So sweet. Here's an excerpt from that part.

"...I spent my entire life waiting for you, Marianne, and I didn't even know it until you arrived. Being burned was the best thing that ever happened to me because it brought you. I wanted to die but you filled me with so much love that it overflowed and I couldn't help but love you back. It happened before I even knew it and now I can't imagine not loving you..."

I'm not really familiar with writing book reviews, or any reviews for that matter so bare with me if that one kind of sucked. Ha ha, maybe I'll get better in the upcoming months.

Even if I haven't done very well with a healthier body, I am right on track to a healthier mind. Go me go.

February's book will be The Late Bloomer's Revolution by Amy Cohen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suck at book reviews too, but I know when I like one. I'll give you props for even attempting to review The Gargoyle cos I had no idea whre to begin.