Tuesday, January 27, 2009

January Book Review: The Late Bloomer's Revolution

The Late Bloomer's Revolution, by Amy Cohen, is the 2nd book I've finished this month. I have to say I was quite disappointed with this one. I originally came across it in an article I read on MSNBC. I can't find the article now, but included in it was a complete chapter of the book. It kept my attention, I laughed and I could relate. It left me wanting to read more and a few days later I bought the book.

The Late Bloomer's Revolution is the story of a New York City girl, Amy Cohen, who's life turns out completely different than she plans. She feels as if Life has left her behind. She is in her late 30's, single, and recently lost her job as a TV writer. The story is mostly of her dating life and the ups and downs. But it also discusses how she handles her mother's passing away and finding new employment. There were times I related with her in the book, mostly with her dating frustrations and how she tries to relate to her married friends. But the remainder of the book I just wanted to slap her silly. It's so depressing. There is one chapter in which she goes on and on about riding a bike and how when she was young she went to a 'biking birthday party' but she didn't know how to actually ride a bike and she falls down. Blah. I think the saddest part is that the book is based on the author's life. I mean we all get down sometimes, I totally understand that, I've expressed my frustrations with life on my personal blog on more than one occassion. But, come on. I really struggled to finish this one.

My expectations were probably too high for this book and that is the reason I didn't care for it. Although, I'm guessing there are many women out there that could really relate and would thoroughly enjoy it. I would give this book a 2 on a scale of 1-5. It just wasn't for me I guess.

Since I've finished this book way ahead of schedule I supposed my next book, Nineteen Minutes, will be my official February book. And it's a longer one (480 pages) so it will probably take me the whole month to finish! Now I just have to remember to borrow it from my sister.

No comments: